Q. So pretty much what is the best free operating system? By operating system I mean examples like window, vista, ect.
Anyways what's the best one?
Anyways what's the best one?
A. Windows is not free, so that's out. Mac OS X isn't free, so that's out.
That leaves Linux for the most part. There are a truckload of different versions, but Ubuntu seems to be the popular one for people just getting into it. I've also seen Linux Mint recommended.
There are also an assortment of others, such as Unix (FreeBSD seems to be the most common there) and other even more obscure ones, such as BeOS and its spawn, Haiku, ReactOS, an attempt to build a Windows-compatible OS, and many other little ones.
That leaves Linux for the most part. There are a truckload of different versions, but Ubuntu seems to be the popular one for people just getting into it. I've also seen Linux Mint recommended.
There are also an assortment of others, such as Unix (FreeBSD seems to be the most common there) and other even more obscure ones, such as BeOS and its spawn, Haiku, ReactOS, an attempt to build a Windows-compatible OS, and many other little ones.
What is the best free operating system that has wifi support and drivers?
Q. I have a Dell Inspiron 6400. Please offer an solutions, it currently has Linux Ubuntu on it, so I can make a boot disk for anything anyone comes up with on my other laptop.
thanks in advance.
thanks in advance.
A. In general, *any* Linux distro that is using the same kernel version as another will have the same level of wifi/driver support, since those drivers are included in the kernel and thus shared in common.
The exception to this rule is if a given distribution adds in specific drivers on their own; an example of this would be distros that are designed to run on especially old hardware like Puppy.
The exception to this rule is if a given distribution adds in specific drivers on their own; an example of this would be distros that are designed to run on especially old hardware like Puppy.
How do I download a free Operating System like Linux when originally booting a computer?
Q. The computer will not even start because it has no operating system. It turns on and sits at an error screen. I want to download a Free OS like linux, but have never started a computer with no OS before. Any tips? Can I download it from an external location?
Update: Can I get a step by step process. I am not very good at this kind of stuff...
Update: Can I get a step by step process. I am not very good at this kind of stuff...
A. Buy an empty DVD disc (their cheap). Go to your neighbour or friend and ask if you can use their puter a few minutes. Download the OS. I prefer Mint here's a link:
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Download the right one (think of bits and so(Torrent is usually faster). Burn the ISO file to your DVD and go home. Put the disc in your puter and start it. Load the boot menu (usually by pressing esc or f12(it will say) Now choose to boot from the cd tray (that's not the name it will go under) and just follow the instructions of Mint (works the exact same way for other dists like ubuntu)
EDIT: To Sacrilege Drenched in Holy Water
The coumputer doesn't download it from the cd, it installs or run it live, you download things from the web;)
http://www.linuxmint.com/download.php
Download the right one (think of bits and so(Torrent is usually faster). Burn the ISO file to your DVD and go home. Put the disc in your puter and start it. Load the boot menu (usually by pressing esc or f12(it will say) Now choose to boot from the cd tray (that's not the name it will go under) and just follow the instructions of Mint (works the exact same way for other dists like ubuntu)
EDIT: To Sacrilege Drenched in Holy Water
The coumputer doesn't download it from the cd, it installs or run it live, you download things from the web;)
Powered by Yahoo! Answers
No comments:
Post a Comment